I know you. You’ve been putting off investing in that new POS system (Point-of-Sale System) you know you need. Because…well all the facts and features seem just too overwhelming. But deep down you know that your POS system is the heart of your business operations.
As Thomas J. Watson (the former Chairman and CEO of IBM) once famously said:
“Nothing happens until someone sells something”
He might of added “And it’s properly tracked and recorded!”…
But how do you choose the right POS system for your business?
With so many options on the market and new ones appearing daily, it’s a daunting task…
We all know that it’s really important to make a smart decision. The consequences of having the wrong system can mean hours of expensive, extra work or even the death knell for your business. Whether you’re just starting out on the road with your company, or you’re simply looking for an upgrade, your choice is directly connected to the success or failure of your business.
At Back Office Solutions, we’ve done some of the leg-work for you. So you can make an informed choice that best suits your business’ needs.
The following questions will help you successfully navigate the murky waters POS , system features, no matter where you are in your business’ journey.
- If you already have a system in place but hope to make it more efficient, it’s important to identify the features that are missing and make a note of any issues you may be having:
- Think about what improvements should be made.
- Are there tasks that are slowing your business down and need to be streamlined?- jot those down. A better system will help you increase efficiency and productivity.
- Some of the systems require different types of hardware so be sure to identify the equipment and hardware that you already have on hand if you’re making an upgrade, or what you need to have in order to purchase.
2. If you’re installing a new system.
- Does your industry have specific requirements for a POS system?
- Which capabilities are essential to successfully running and tracking your business?
- Daily report generation features?
- Sales reporting by categories?
- Time reporting on sales?
- The ability to link attendance to your staff
Whether you are replacing a old system or installing a new one, it’s imperative to establish your budget ahead of time.
These are some of the most important features we have found to consider when investing in a POS system. There are of course more.
If you would like some help in choosing a POS system that’s tailored to your specific needs, we can make recommendations based on your industry. Our restaurant clients usually seek different vendors than our gas station clients. We have a long history of working with clients in many different industries, so we can help you navigate the marketplace successfully. We also can work closely with you to map out the precise functionality that you need right now as well as recommend features you might want as your company grows.
If you would like a list of our favorite POS’s, the ones we had the best results with- contact us here
One final tip:
Once you choose your vendor, be sure to stay in close contact with them. View them as a long-term partner to help you grow your business and sharpen your expertise. You want to be on the lookout for vendors with a reputation for solid customer service, because in the beginning there will be always be a learning curve with any point of sales system.
Because the task of upgrading your POS system or installing a new one can be overwhelming, we’re here to help you define your goals and make the best choice for your business. We can be reached at (914) 755-1922. With our help, your new system can translate into what’s important – more sales.